Outdoor Field Complex (OFC)
The Outdoor Field Complex (renovated in 2015) features two multi-purpose fields, with more than 214,000 square feet of synthetic turf. The fields are used to support UIC Intramural Sports and Sport Club programs. They are also available for drop-in use and rentals. Student groups, the UIC community or non-UIC affiliated entities wishing to use the fields for organized activities should contact Campus Recreation at 312-413-5150.
The fields are designed and marked to accommodate the following activities:
- Flag Football
- Field Hockey
- Outdoor WiFi access for the UIC community
The OFC boasts the following sustainable features:
- UIC saves up to 2,000,000 gallons of water per year in irrigation costs.
- The need for fertilizers and pesticides on the playing surface has been eliminated.
- Approximately 87,000 recycled tires were used to make up the FieldTurf’s performance infill layer.
- The installation of the turf field eliminates fuel-powered mowing, aerating and re-seeding.
- Permeable concrete assists storm water runoff.
- Wind and solar powered walkway lighting.
Sand Volleyball Courts
The volleyball courts are available at any time the field complex is open. Intramural activities receive priority scheduling.
The asphalt jogging path winds through the perimeter of the field complex and covers roughly .4 of a mile.
The fitness station, located near the 3rd base foul line beyond the outfield of the West Field, is a new addition to the OFC. The station is available for use during the normal operating hours of the OFC. The station may be unavailable when Campus Recreation is conducting a scheduled group fitness class at the OFC that utilizes the equipment.
- All access to the Outdoor Field Complex will be made through the proper designated gate on 14th
- No organized activities permitted, without the approval of the Department of Campus Recreation. This includes but is not limited to: group/private instruction, practices, training, competitive games, etc. Please call 312-413-5150 for all rental questions.
- Proper adult supervision is required for children under the age of 18.
- Patrons of the OFC should be aware of flying balls, bats and other objects.
- Service dogs with proper identification are the only animals permitted in the complex.
- No skate boards, in-line skates or bicycles are permitted on the walking path.
- Throwing, hitting or kicking balls against fences is prohibited.
- Food and beverages may be permitted in the complex when requested as part of a reserved event.
- However, only water is allowed on the turf.
- The following are prohibited inside the complex:
- Metal spiked shoes
- Open fires and barbeque grills
- Glass containers of any kind
- Alcoholic beverages
- Golf equipment
- Tobacco products / smoking
- Driving stakes
- The following are prohibited on the turf:
- Sunflower seeds
- Food and beverage (water is permitted on the turf)
- Chewing gum
Campus Recreation personnel reserve the right to remove any patron from the facility, if they exhibit behavior that is believed to be unsafe or inappropriate.
The OFC is available for drop-in use by UIC community and neighborhood residents when scheduled events or activities are not taking place. Facility rentals or University programs may preempt the drop in schedule. UIC reserves the right to reschedule any activity days and times. Facilities may be closed due to inclement weather, or unscheduled maintenance. For more information regarding daily schedule changes, please call the Field Office at (312) 413-2738. For information regarding field reservations please call (312) 413-5150.
The Department of Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel any scheduled activity based on inclement weather and unscheduled field maintenance. Cancellations will be communicated via the OFC Hotline (312) 413-2738. UIC Campus Recreation Staff will determine if the scheduled activities can be safely played. All decisions will be based on the following factors:
- Previous, current, and future weather conditions
- Safety of our participants
- Type of activity and number of users
Game officials and Campus Recreation staff have the authority to cancel or suspend games due to weather conditions
In the event of lightning and/or thunder the Outdoor Fields Complex will be closed and fields must be cleared immediately. All scheduled activity can resume when no lightning or thunder is present for a full 30 minutes. Timing will start over each time lightning or thunder is present.
In the event of extreme weather UIC Campus Recreation will operate in accordance with the National Weather Service guidelines and procedures.