Swimming Pool Policies
- All users must wear proper swim attire when entering the pool area.
- No street clothes can be worn in the water.
- Infants and toddlers must wear swim diapers or swim pants that are form-fitting.
- Shoes are not allowed on the pool deck.
- Children 8 years old and under must have an adult in the pool with them at all times.
- There is no diving in the pool.
- No photography is allowed in the pool area.
- All users must shower before entering the pool area.
- Running, pushing, or horseplay will not be tolerated in the pool or on the pool deck area.
- No food or drink is allowed in the pool area, except for water in non-breakable containers.
- No gum or adhesive bandages are allowed in the pool.
- Users with open wounds or infectious diseases are not allowed in the pool.
- Spitting or spouting of water is not allowed in the pool.
- Parties and groups are only permitted to use designated pool areas as stipulated in Pool Rental Agreement. Parties are not allowed usage of the lap lanes, spa, steam room, or sauna.
- Adults (18+) must be present at all times to supervise the children in the pool. Children (17 and under) may not use the spa, sauna, and/or steam room.
- Children under the age of 9 who are swimming must be supervised by an adult (18+) in the Leisure Pool. Each adult can only supervise up to three children (under the age of 9) while in the Leisure Pool. Waivers must be signed. If waiver is not signed persons will not be allowed into the facility
- Children cannot use kickboards or buoys. Children may use the inner tubes or their own personal floatation devices (U.S. Coast Guard Approved required) or swimming fins unless they are deemed unsafe by the Recreation Staff/Lifeguard.
- Parties are responsible for set-up before and clean-up after their room reservation.
- All food must be store bought or delivered.
- Perishable foods, such as those made with milk, eggs, or mayonnaise
are not allowed in the facility (such as dips, creams, cheese sauces, cole
slaw, potato salad, and macaroni salad).
- Food that must be cooked, heated, or chilled is not allowed. The
use of sternos (portable heating candles) is not allowed.
- Proper swimming attire is required.
- No personal belongings of any kind are allowed in the Sauna.
- Lewd or suggestive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Nobody under the age of 18 is allowed in the Sauna.
- Adjustments to the Sauna or tending to the rocks are not permitted. Alert Campus Recreation Staff if the Sauna is not functioning properly.
Steam Room Rules
- Proper swimming attire is required.
- No personal belongings of any kind are allowed in the Steam Room.
- Lewd or Suggestive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Nobody under the age of 18 is allowed in the Steam Room.
- Adjustments to the steam are not permitted. Alert Campus Recreation Staff is the Steam Room is not functioning properly.
Proper Swim Attire Information
Proper swim attire is required for all users of the UIC Natatorium. This is required to ensure the safety of our patrons, cleanliness of our facility, clarity of our water and proper upkeep of our mechanical systems.
Clothing worn during exercise or prior to showering introduces additional organic compounds to the pool that will react with the chlorine, producing the chemicals that result in the chlorine smell of a pool (chloramines). These are not only unpleasant to the senses; they can also have an effect on the eyes and respiratory system. Non-swim attire also absorbs additional bacteria, detergent and chemicals which are released into the water and can effect water chemistry and clarity.
Non-swim attire often breaks down in the water leaving behind particles of clothing that can clog and damage our filtration systems for the pool.
Non-swim attire in the Steam Room and Sauna also introduces additional bacteria to the surface of these areas which contributes to the spread of disease and germs.
To keep our facility clean and our patrons safe, we ask that all patrons wear proper swim attire and shower before entering our natatorium.