Are you ready to go walking or running?
You can start these routes at a UIC Campus Recreation location and see some of the great sites Chicago has to offer.
The routes range from just over 1 mile to 5 mile paths. The routes are generally flat and are on sidewalks and are loop.
Walking/Running Safety Tips:
- Try not to bring valuables/phones or keep them hidden from view
- Try to not use headphones, but if you must, keep the volume low so you are still aware of your surroundings
- Obey traffic signals and watch for bicyclists
- Try to stay on well-lit paths/routes
- Trust your gut instincts-if you do not feel safe, change your route
- UIC campus has emergency buttons throughout campus—be aware of those locations
- Leave a note for your roommate for your running path and the time you expect to be back
- Wear reflective clothing when running in the early morning or evening
- Carry some cash or your Ventra card in case you need to have an alternative to get home
- Know areas where you can stop at a water fountain or for a restroom