Climbing Wall at SRF
737 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60607
Come and try our incredible Entre Prises’ Free Form climbing wall. Entre Prises’ is the world’s premier climbing wall manufacturer and Free Form is the most advanced product in climbing wall technology. Free Form accurately simulates the look, feel, and detail of real rock! Our wall is 43 feet tall, 7 top ropes across, and has a stunning variety of built in features such as: cracks, flakes, pockets, arêtes, a dihedral, as well as endless intricate features.
Rock-climbing is a multi-dimensional sport that requires strength and flexibility, as well as a high level of endurance and skill. It also offers a balance between physical exercise and mental discipline. Climbers will quickly begin to develop hand, arm, back, and core strength as a result of the movements the climber needs to scale the wall. With practice, climbers will see improvement in agility, their ability to increase strength-to-weight ratio and flexibility in hips and hamstrings.
In addition, our friendly staff would love to introduce you to this popular and fast growing sport. We are constantly changing our routes to challenge every type of climber from beginner to advanced skill levels. Each route varies in length and style so climbs never get tedious.
The Academic Schedule will run from January 14 – May 5, 2018 (Subject to Change)
|Tuesday||11:00 am-1:00pm and 4:00pm – 9:00pm|
|Wednesday||11:00am-1:00pm and 4:00pm – 9:00pm|
|Thursday||11:00am -1:00pm and 4:00pm – 9:00pm|
|Saturday||11:00am – 3:00pm|
You asked…we answered! Climbing is now FREE for all students, members, and guests.
Equipment prices are as follows:
Shoe Rental Chalk Bag Rental Shoe + Chalk Rental
Student- $3.00 Student- $2.00 Student- $4.00
Member- $5.00 Member- $5.00 Member- $8.00
10 Punch Equipment Rental Card (Shoes + Chalk)
Non-Member 5 Climb Pass
Non-Member 5 Climb Pass with Rental Gear
Introduction to rock climbing classes are offered on a frequent basis. Four week classes run once a week for an hour and a half. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall.
For a nominal fee, students can sign up for classes on-line. A belay certification is included in the class. This permits the climber to belay his/her friends without waiting for a staff member.
Adult Intro to Climbing Class
Mondays 2/5 – 2/19 3-5 pm
Tuesday 3/6 – 3/20 3-5 pm
NEW! Kids Learn to Climb Class
Similar to the adult intro to climbing class, this class exposes children 7+ to the sport of rock climbing while working on technique to improve their skills. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall.
Sundays 2/4 – 2/18 10:30-12:30 pm
Sundays 3/4 – 3/18 10:30-12:30 pm
Adult Learn to Lead Class
Learn to Lead classes for more experienced climbers are offered using a similar format with an emphasis on more advanced technique, lead belay, and sport climbing. Students need to be able to climb at least a 5.9 to enroll in this class.
Tuesdays 2/13 – 2/27 2 – 4 pm
Fridays 3/9 – 3/23 2 – 4 pm
*Our classes are open to UIC students , members, and non-members.
Non Members: $75
The MED Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course makes use of lecture and practical-based learning both in and outside of the classroom. The concepts and skills taught in this course will prepare you to prevent, identify and stabilize a diverse range of injuries and illnesses associated with recreation in remote places where adaptations to harsh environments, limited access to resources and communication, and personal/group safety must be made. Beginning with patient assessment, this course helps establish a foundation for students to make informed decisions during emergency situations when far from definitive healthcare systems.
Topics covered in our Wilderness First Aid course include an introductory level overview and practice of topics including patient assessment, respiratory distress emergencies, bleeding & wound management, shock, spine & head injuries, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental emergencies, abdominal illnesses & injuries, allergies & anaphylaxis, and emergency & evacuation plans. Inclusion of additional topics beyond what is listed can be discussed and agreed on upon request.
Our Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course involves a minimum of 16 hours of contact time. No exam is associated with this course. After successful completion of the course components, a student is granted a 2 year certification. No recertification course exists for this training. Instead, a student can participate in a new Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course and gain further certification.
Day 1: 8:00am-5:00pm
Day 2: 8:00am-5:00pm
A 1 hour lunch break is provided each day of this course.
This course is offered to UIC Students, Members, and Non Members.
To register, click HERE!
The wall can be rented for parties and private events. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 413-5165.
Climbing Wall Rental (per hour)
|Affiliation||Number of People Attending|
|15 or less||16-30|
Specifically at the Student Recreation Facility
1. The climbing wall is open only during posted, supervised times. The schedule is modified during breaks and summer. The hangboard mounted by the climbing wall is available for use during normal facility hours.
2. All climbers must sign an Acceptance of Risk, Waiver and Release form which will be kept on file. All new climbers will need to complete a 5 minute orientation with a certified staff member in addition to the waiver.
3. Children must be 5 years old or older and may only climb during weekend hours.
4. Climbing is free for all who can already enter the facility, however if climbing shoes or chalk are desired, patrons may purchase a daily or ten climb pass to rent equipment.
5. Non-Members may purchase a five climb pass with a photo ID exclusively for the climbing wall. Non-members must have a photo ID for each climbing wall visit and check in at member services.
6. Proper athletic apparel appropriate for climbing is required. Only clean gym shoes will be allowed on the wall and slack line.
7. Harnesses are provided at no charge to climbers. Patrons may also bring their own equipment for use at their own risk.
8. Through Campus Recreation’s Instructional Programs, periodic classes are offered to teach the fundamentals of climbing.
9. Experienced climbers can be certified by the SRF’s wall staff to climb and belay without an attendant’s assistance. If a belay test is failed, the climber needs to wait at least one day before re-testing.
10. Only assisted braking belay devices can be utilized on the climbing wall unless an instructional class requires other belay devices.
Rock Swim & Sport Summer Program
This summer get your kids involved in a fun and active half day program! UIC Campus Recreation if offering its annual summer kid’s program that will combine indoor rock climbing with swim lessons. All children aged 5-11 are welcome. No experience needed!
Session 1: June 20 – June 29*
Session 2: July 9 – July 20
Session 3: July 30 – August 10
Pricing (per session):
Click here to Register !