Climbing Wall at SRF
737 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60607
Come and try our incredible Entre Prises’ Free Form climbing wall. Entre Prises’ is the world’s premier climbing wall manufacturer and Free Form is the most advanced product in climbing wall technology. Free Form accurately simulates the look, feel, and detail of real rock! Our wall is 43 feet tall, 7 top ropes across, and has a stunning variety of built in features such as: cracks, flakes, pockets, arêtes, a dihedral, as well as endless intricate features.
Rock-climbing is a multi-dimensional sport that requires strength and flexibility, as well as a high level of endurance and skill. It also offers a balance between physical exercise and mental discipline. Climbers will quickly begin to develop hand, arm, back, and core strength as a result of the movements the climber needs to scale the wall. With practice, climbers will see improvement in agility, their ability to increase strength-to-weight ratio and flexibility in hips and hamstrings.
In addition, our friendly staff would love to introduce you to this popular and fast growing sport. We are constantly changing our routes to challenge every type of climber from beginner to advanced skill levels. Each route varies in length and style so climbs never get tedious.
It’s that time again! Get ready for the REEL Rock 9 Tour! Join Campus Recreation as we host our annual Rock ‘N Reel Climbing Fest on Thursday, October 2nd. The Fest kicks off at 4pm with free indoor climbing, slacklining, crate stacking, raffle prizes and MORE! REEL Rock 9 film shows at 7pm and will feature Yosemite’s climbing revolution.
UIC students are free with valid ICard. Community members can purchase tickets for $20.00 through HERE. Tickets will be available at the door on the day of the event for $25.00. Ticket price includes entry to the Fest, a raffle ticket, and participation in all climbing, slacklining, and other events.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The climbing wall will be closed on 9/1 in observance of Labor Day
Academic Session schedule will resume on 8/24/14
|Sunday-Tuesday||4:00 – 9:00pm|
|Wednesday||11:00am – 1:00pm|
|4:00pm – 9:00pm|
|Thursday||4:00pm – 9:00pm|
|Friday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Saturday||11:00am – 3:00pm|
You asked…we answered! Climbing is now FREE for all students, members, and guests. Equipment prices are as follows:
Shoe Rental Chalk Bag Rental Shoe + Chalk Rental
Student- $3.00 Student- $2.00 Student- $4.00
Member- $5.00 Member- $5.00 Member- $8.00
10 Punch Equipment Rental Card (Shoes + Chalk)
Semester Equipment Rental Card
Shoe Rental Shoe + Chalk
Student- $45.00 Student- $55.00
Non-Member 5 Climb Pass- $50.00
Non-Member 5 Climb Pass with Rental Gear – $80.00
The wall can be rented for parties and private events. For more information contact Courtney De Paulo at email@example.com or call (312) 996-7730.
Climbing Wall Rental (per hour)
|Affiliation||Number of People Attending|
|15 or less||16-30|
Introduction to rock climbing classes are offered on a frequent basis. Four week classes run once a week for an hour and a half. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall. For a nominal fee, students can sign up for classes on-line. A belay certification is included in the class. This permits the climber to belay his/her friends without waiting for a staff member.
Sign up for our Intro to Climbing Fall classes!
Wednesdays 3-4:30pm September 10-October 1
Tuesdays 3-4:30pm September 30- October 21
Mondays 3-4:30pm October 20- November 10
Advanced classes for more experienced climbers are offered using a similar format with an emphasis on more advanced technique, lead belay, and sport climbing. Students need to be able to climb at least a 5.9 to enroll in this class.
Tuesdays 3-4:30pm October 28-November 18
Keep your eyes out for other fitness-based climbing classes coming soon to the SRF!
*Our classes are open to UIC students , members, and non-members. Private lessons will be open to the community soon!
Specifically at the Student Recreation Facility
1. The climbing wall is open only during posted, supervised times. The schedule is modified during breaks and summer. The hangboard mounted by the climbing wall is available for use during normal facility hours.
2. All climbers must sign an Acceptance of Risk, Waiver and Release form which will be kept on file. All new climbers will need to complete a 5 minute orientation with a certified staff member in addition to the waiver.
3. Children must be 5 years old or older and may only climb during weekend hours.
4. Climbing is free for all who can already enter the facility, however if climbing shoes or chalk are desired, patrons may purchase a daily, ten climb, or semester pass to rent equipment.
5. Non-Members may purchase a five climb pass with a photo ID exclusively for the climbing wall. Non-members must have a photo ID for each climbing wall visit and check in at member services.
6. Proper athletic apparel appropriate for climbing is required. Only clean gym shoes will be allowed on the wall.
7. Harnesses are provided at no charge to climbers. Patrons may also bring their own equipment for use at their own risk.
8. Through Campus Recreation’s Instructional Programs, periodic classes are offered to teach the fundamentals of climbing.
9. Experienced climbers can be certified by the SRF’s wall staff to climb and belay without an attendant’s assistance. If a belay test is failed, the climber needs to wait at least one day before re-testing.
10. Only assisted braking belay devices can be utilized on the climbing wall unless an instructional class requires other belay devices.
Campus Recreation is offering its second annual summer kids program that will combine rockclimbing instruction with swim lessons. Kids between the ages of 5-14 will receive 60 minutes of swim instruction paired with 90 minutes of indoor climbing instruction. During the swim portion, children will be taught according to the American Red Cross Learn to Swim curriculum. During the climbing portion, campers will learn teamwork, communication, and confidence while participating in exciting climbing games, activities, and skills in this two week long program. Register today!
Please click on the PDF file below to the see session dates on our flyer