Climbing Wall at SRF
737 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60607
Come and try our incredible Entre Prises’ Free Form climbing wall. Entre Prises’ is the world’s premier climbing wall manufacturer and Free Form is the most advanced product in climbing wall technology. Free Form accurately simulates the look, feel, and detail of real rock! Our wall is 43 feet tall, 7 top ropes across, and has a stunning variety of built in features such as: cracks, flakes, pockets, arêtes, a dihedral, as well as endless intricate features.
Rock-climbing is a multi-dimensional sport that requires strength and flexibility, as well as a high level of endurance and skill. It also offers a balance between physical exercise and mental discipline. Climbers will quickly begin to develop hand, arm, back, and core strength as a result of the movements the climber needs to scale the wall. With practice, climbers will see improvement in agility, their ability to increase strength-to-weight ratio and flexibility in hips and hamstrings.
In addition, our friendly staff would love to introduce you to this popular and fast growing sport. We are constantly changing our routes to challenge every type of climber from beginner to advanced skill levels. Each route varies in length and style so climbs never get tedious.
|Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,||4:00 – 9:00pm|
|Thursday||*4:00 – 5:30pm & 6:30 – 10:00pm|
|Friday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Saturday||11:00am – 3:00pm|
*TRX Summit will take place on the wall on Thursdays from 5:30 – 6:30pm
|Saturday||11:00am – 3:00pm|
|Tuesday – Friday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Student||10 Day Pass||$20|
|Members||10 Day Pass||$40|
|Student||Semester Climbing Pass||$40|
|Members||Semester Climbing Pass||$60|
|Family Climb*Saturday and Sunday ONLY||One Day||Children $5 (plus daily entrance fee)|
The wall can be rented for parties and private events. For more information contact Courtney De Paulo at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 996-7730.
Climbing Wall Rental (per hour)
|Affiliation||Number of People Attending|
|15 or less||16-30|
Introduction to rock climbing classes are offered on a frequent basis. Four week classes run once a week for an hour and a half. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall. For a nominal fee, students can sign up for classes on-line. A belay certification is included in the class. This permits the climber to belay his/her friends without waiting for a staff member.
Advanced classes for more experienced climbers are offered using a similar format with an emphasis on more advanced technique, lead belay, and sport climbing. Students need to be able to climb at least a 5.9 to enroll in this class.
Our new TRX Summit Class is a circuit-style fitness class that combines the TRX suspension training, kettlebells, classic body weight exercises, and wall climbing specifically designed to target specific muscle strength and endurance needed for climbing.
Keep your eyes out for other fitness-based climbing classes coming soon to the SRF!
*Our classes are open to UIC students , members, and non-members. Classes and private lessons will be open to the community soon!
Specifically at the Student Recreation Facility
1. The climbing wall is open only during posted, supervised times. The schedule is modified during breaks and summer. The hangboard mounted by the climbing wall is available for use during normal facility hours.
2. All climbers must sign an Acceptance of Risk, Waiver and Release form, which will be kept on file.
3. Children must be 5 years old or older and may only climb during weekend hours.
4. Patrons may purchase a daily, ten climb, or semester climbing pass.
5. Non-Members may purchase a five climb pass with a photo ID exclusively for the climbing wall. Non-members must have a photo ID for each climbing wall visit and check in at member services.
6. Proper athletic apparel appropriate for climbing is required.
7. Harnesses and shoes are provided at no charge to climbers. Patrons may also bring their own equipment for use at their own risk.
8. Through Campus Recreation’s Instructional Programs, periodic classes are offered to teach the fundamentals of climbing.
9. Experienced climbers can be certified by the SRF’s wall staff to climb and belay without an attendant’s assistance. If a belay test is failed, the climber needs to wait at least one day before re-testing.
10. Only assisted braking belay devices can be utilized on the climbing wall unless an instructional class requires other belay devices.
Thank you to everyone that participated in our ROCK ‘N REEL FEST 2013. We had a great time putting the event on and are already looking forward to next year! For more pictures on the event, please visit our Facebook page.
Thanks again to our fantastic sponsors!
Want to learn how to build a campfire? Interested in learning how to tie different useful knots? If so, the hands-on UIC outdoor workshop series is for you!
Join us every third Tuesday of the month during the semester for an opportunity to learn a little more about the outdoors.
All workshops meet in the SRF and run from 7-9pm. Register on-line
Knotty Buisness- Climbing and camping knots
Campin’ Out- How to set up camp/backcountry camp sites
S’mores Please!- Learn how to build a campfire and roast s’mores
Single workshop cost: Series Cost (all three):
Student- $10 $25
Member- $15 $40
Non-Member- $20 $50