Campus Recreation is one of the largest employers of students on the UIC campus. With over 300 student employees providing coverage of facilities and programs that operate over 100 hours per week, this large workforce provides many opportunities for employment. Employees are hired as both regular student employees and Federal Work Study employees. Many students qualify for Work Study monies and they don’t even know it. Work Study is a federal program that provides salary relief for departments who hire eligible students. Monies are based on institutional need, and have no effect on student scholarship or other aid based programs. Work Study eligible students are given priority for job placement. Visit the Student Employment office in Room 2200 SSB, 996-3130, for further information or to verify your eligibility.
Campus Recreation employs students in the following areas. Some jobs are based on certifications or experience. We maintain many certification programs here on campus.
Most jobs are paid the current campus minimum of $8.50/hr. Other jobs requiring additional certification or advanced skills are paid at a higher hourly rate.
- Member Services Attendant – Member Services Attendants assist patrons with a variety of services and therefore must be extremely knowledgeable about the department. General requirements for this position include effective communication skills and a positive attitude. Applicants should have the ability to work well under pressure and within a team environment. Previous customer service experience is a plus. Member Services Attendants must be available to work at least one opening OR closing shift AND one weekend shift per week. Responsibilities for this desk area include:
- Providing customer service to all members and visitors of UIC Campus Recreation.
- Selling and processing UIC Campus Recreation memberships, guest passes, and Pro-Shop items.
- Assisting the Professional Staff with patron inquires.
- Checking in non-members for programs and services.
- Enforcing facility entrance policies.
- Facility Attendant – encompasses Control Desk Attendant, Equipment Desk Attendant and Operations Attendant
- Control Desk Attendant: ensure safety and security of the facility by admitting entrance to only authorized patrons and guests
- Equipment Desk Attendant: towel service coordination and equipment issue
- Operations Attendant: helps with various tasks such as facility maintenance, special event set-up, and policy enforcement
- Lifeguard– must have a current American Red Cross, YMCA, or Jeff Ellis and Associates Lifeguard Certification. Lifeguards at UIC Campus Recreation are responsible for supervising daily operations in both the Sport and Fitness Center and Student Recreation Facility Natatoriums. Applicants should be confident in all lifeguarding, CPR, and first aid skills. An in-water skills test will be required for all interviews. Responsibilities in this area include:
- Enforcing Natatorium rules and policies.
- Supervising swimmers and participants in the pool, steam room, sauna, and spa.
- Performing hourly chemical checks.
- Performing various cleaning tasks, as assigned.
- Fitness Floor Attendant – supervises and maintains weight and fitness areas
- Climbing Wall Attendant – (SRF only- certification required) Responsibilities for this position include:
- Enforcing policies and procedures to provide safe management and operation of the Climbing Wall.
- Demonstrating a thorough understanding of belay and spotting techniques.
- Providing an inclusive environment and great customer service to all patrons.
- Instructing basic rock climbing and belaying techniques to patrons of all ages.
- Flexibility to work special events, birthday parties and kid’s programs on hours other than normal operating hours.
- Group Fitness Instructor – instructs various fitness and health related classes (certification required)
- Personal Trainer – provides physical training supervision for clients (certification required)
- Intramural Official – officiates and supervises team and individual sport activities
- Field Supervisor – supervises outdoor activity areas during scheduled times and the summer months
Supervisory positions are also available and are based on experience, expertise, attitude and dependability. These positions are assigned on staff recommendation.
If you are interested in applying for a position in Campus Recreation, please drop off a resume and fill out an employment application at any facility. Jobs are available throughout the school year, summers and break periods. Work hours are flexible and substitute shifts are available.