Campus Recreation is one of the largest employers of students on the UIC campus. With over 200 student employees, we provide many opportunities for employment. Jobs are available throughout the school year, summers, and break periods. Some jobs are based on certifications or experience and we maintain many certification programs here on campus.
How to Apply
Download the Student Employment Application Form and email your completed application to email@example.com. Cover Letters and/or Resumes are welcome and must be submitted with your application for review. A confirmation email will be sent within one week of applying that your application has been received. Hiring managers of UIC Campus Recreation will have access to your application once it has been processed.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we cannot provide any further status updates on your application. If you have any questions regarding specific areas of employment we recommend that you contact the direct hiring manager. Please visit the Professional Staff page for contact information.
Suggestions for Applying
UIC Campus Recreation will always accept applications, but the majority of hiring is conducted before each new semester begins. For this reason, we encourage applying early. Availability is also a large factor in the hiring process for most areas. Applicants willing to work opening, closing, or weekend shifts are typically preferred. For those not selected, we recommend re-applying before the start of each new semester with an updated application and availability sheet.
Campus Recreation Employment Positions
Campus Recreation employs students in the following areas. Most jobs are paid the current campus minimum of $8.50/hr. Other jobs requiring additional certification or advanced skills are paid at a higher hourly rate.
- Facility Attendant: Encompasses Control Desk Attendant, Equipment Desk Attendant and Operations Attendant positions.
- Control Desk Attendant: ensure safety and security of the facility by admitting entrance to only authorized patrons and guests
- Equipment Desk Attendant: towel service coordination and equipment issue
- Operations Attendant: helps with various tasks such as facility maintenance, special event set-up, and policy enforcement
- Member Services Attendant: Assist patrons with a variety of services and therefore must be knowledgeable about the department. General requirements for this position include effective communication skills and a positive attitude. Applicants should have the ability to work well under pressure and within a team environment. Previous customer service experience is a plus. Member Services Attendants must be available to work at least one opening OR closing shift AND one weekend shift per week. Responsibilities for this desk area include:
- Providing customer service to all members and visitors of UIC Campus Recreation.
- Selling and processing UIC Campus Recreation memberships, guest passes, and Pro-Shop items.
- Assisting the Professional Staff with patron inquires.
- Checking in non-members for programs and services.
- Enforcing facility entrance policies.
- Fitness Floor Attendant: Supervises and maintains weight and fitness areas.
- Intramural Official: Officiates and supervises team and individual sport activities.
- Climbing Wall Attendant (SRF only): Responsibilities for this position include:
- Enforcing policies and procedures to provide safe management and operation of the Climbing Wall. Certification required.
- Demonstrating a thorough understanding of belay and spotting techniques.
- Providing an inclusive environment and great customer service to all patrons.
- Instructing basic rock climbing and belaying techniques to patrons of all ages.
- Flexibility to work special events, birthday parties and kid’s programs on hours other than normal operating hours.
- Lifeguard: Must have a current American Red Cross, YMCA, or Jeff Ellis and Associates Lifeguard Certification. Lifeguards at UIC Campus Recreation are responsible for supervising daily operations in both the Sport and Fitness Center and Student Recreation Facility Natatoriums. Applicants should be confident in all lifeguarding, CPR, and first aid skills. An in-water skills test will be required for all interviews. Responsibilities in this area include:
- Enforcing Natatorium rules and policies.
- Supervising swimmers and participants in the pool, steam room, sauna, and spa.
- Performing hourly chemical checks.
- Performing various cleaning tasks, as assigned.
- Group Fitness Instructor: Instructs various group fitness classes.
- In-House or Nationally Recognized Certification required.
- Provides safe and effective workouts to students and members
- Provides motivation and customer service
- Provides a inclusive environment
- Caters to all fitness levels
- Must obtain CPR/AED Certification
- Personal Trainer: Provides physical training supervision for clients. Certification required.
- Field Supervisor: Supervises outdoor activity areas during scheduled times and the summer months.
Supervisory positions are also available internally and are based on experience, expertise, attitude and dependability.
Employees are hired as both regular student employees and Federal Work Study (FWS) employees. Work Study eligible students are given priority for job placement. Contact the Student Employment Office at (312) 996-3130 for further information on to verify your eligibility for FWS.