Campus Recreation is one of the largest employers of students on the UIC campus. With over 300 student employees providing coverage of facilities and programs that operate over 100 hours per week, this large workforce provides many opportunities for employment. Employees are hired as both regular student employees and Federal Work Study employees. Many students qualify for Work Study monies and they don’t even know it. Work Study is a federal program that provides salary relief for departments who hire eligible students. Monies are based on institutional need, and have no effect on student scholarship or other aid based programs. Work Study eligible students are given priority for job placement. Visit the Student Employment office in Room 2200 SSB, 996-3130, for further information or to verify your eligibility.
Campus Recreation employs students in the following areas. Some jobs are based on certifications or experience. We maintain many certification programs here on campus.
Most jobs are paid the current campus minimum of $8.50/hr. Other jobs requiring additional certification or advanced skills are paid at a higher hourly rate.
- Member Services Attendant – provides customer service at various desks and stations located in Campus Recreation facilities
- Porter– helps with various tasks such as facility maintenance, set-ups, and general supervision
- Lifeguard– supervises swimming pool and leisure areas (certification required)
- Fitness Floor Attendant – supervises and maintains weight and fitness areas
- Climbing Wall Attendant – operates and manages the Climbing Wall in SRF (certification required)
- Group Fitness Instructor – instructs various fitness and health related classes (certification required)
- Personal Trainer – provides physical training supervision for clients (certification required)
- Intramural Official – officiates and supervises team and individual sport activities
- Field Supervisor – supervises outdoor activity areas during scheduled times and the summer months
Supervisory positions are also available and are based on experience, expertise, attitude and dependability. These positions are assigned on staff recommendation.
If you are interested in applying for a position in Campus Recreation, please drop off a resume and fill out an employment application at any facility. Jobs are available throughout the school year, summers and break periods. Work hours are flexible and substitute shifts are available.