Facility Policies Heading link
UIC Campus Recreation staff has authority over patron conduct and the use of equipment. Failure to comply with these policies may result in removal from the facility and further university sanctioning.
- Courts are prioritized by scheduled activities.
- No food/drink other than water allowed in this space.
- SFC Only: No personal belongings are allowed on the basketball courts.
Boxing and MAC Suite
- Combat-type activities are only permitted through Campus Recreation internal Sports Club program with approved supervision/instruction.
- All climbers must sign a Rock Climbing Wall Acceptance of Risk, Waiver, and Release form which will be kept on file. All new climbers will need to complete an orientation with a staff member prior to climbing.
- Closed-toe shoes for climbing are required at all times.
- If a belay test is failed, the climber needs to wait at least one day before re-testing.
- Only assisted braking belay devices are to be utilized on the climbing wall unless an instructional class requires other belay devices. Personal belay devices are not permitted.
- Members must present their UIC iCard to check-in and check-out equipment.
- Should items be lost, stolen, or damaged, the member or parent/legal guardian will be charged for the replacement of the equipment.
- If equipment is not returned to the equipment desk restocking fee will be assessed for the individual that checked out the equipment.
- A hold will be placed on the member’s account restricting access to the facility until the fee is paid.
Facility Rentals & Reservations
- Two-week advanced notice is required to reserve space for all University-affiliated groups. Four-week advanced notice is required to reserve space for any external group to the University. The advanced notice is required to process paperwork and acquire the necessary approvals. Any request not providing the required advanced notice will only be considered if time permits.
- External groups to the University will be required to obtain and submit a Certificate of Liability demonstrating liability coverage that indemnifies Campus Recreation, The University of Illinois at Chicago and The Board of Regents of the University of Illinois from liability for injuries and damages for the specific event.
- Four bookings may be reserved on the calendar at any given time. Additional booking(s) may be added after the first reservation has expired.
- Additional fees will be assessed for early opening or late closing beyond regular business hours.
- A non-refundable deposit may be required to reserve space.
- Reservations with a total invoice below $99.00 do not require a deposit.
- Reservations with a total invoice above $100.00 require a 25% deposit.
- *University departments are exempt from paying a deposit.
- Payment is required for the balance within the contract prior to accessing the facility. Should facility use or the number of attendees change throughout the event therefore adjusting the price, additional payment is required prior to leaving.
- Arrangements for final payment, entrance to the facility and other considerations must be made at least four business days prior to rental. Failure to meet this deadline may result in cancellation.
- Facility access will be permitted fifteen minutes before and after the rental. Access to space will be permitted for the reserved time only. Please include setup and strike times into your rental request.
- Decorations, hand-outs/flyers, and activities must be approved by Campus Recreation staff during the reservation process. The following items are not permitted in any Campus Recreation facility: inflatables, glass containers, balloons, paint, silly string, glitter, sequence, stickers, tape (painters tape allowed).
- Food and beverage:
- All food must be store bought or delivered and must be maintained at the appropriate temperature.
- Storage and preparation of food on site is not allowed.
- Alcohol is not permitted in any Campus Recreation facility.
- Changes to a reservation must be made via email four days prior to the reservation. Changes requested within four days may result in a $25.00 fee. Changes will only be accommodated if resources allow. Examples of changes to a reservation include but not limited to: request for additional time/space, changes in anticipated participants that require a larger space or additional staff.
- Cancellations to a reservation must be made via email 14 days prior to the reservation for all indoor spaces. Cancellations to a reservation must be made via email 30 days prior to the reservation for all outdoor spaces. Cancellations made within respective indoor or outdoor time-frame may result in a 25% fee of the total invoice.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel a reservation due to but not limited to:
- failure to complete final reservation arrangements,
- inability to accommodate last minute changes to size and scope,
- inclement weather,
- not providing appropriate supervision,
- concerns for safety or security, or
- unforeseeable circumstances causing the space to be unavailable.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to substitute a comparable recreation facility due to changes in availability or scope to reservation. Campus Recreation will make every effort to accommodate with similar space when changes are required.
- Indoor space is not accommodated in the event of inclement weather unless previously reserved during the reservation process.
- Only liquid chalk is approved for this space.
- All bags and other personal belongings are not permitted on the third floor.
- All equipment must be used in the way it was designed. Do not attempt to modify equipment. Pins are required on plate-loaded equipment.
- Dropping/Slamming weights are prohibited.
- Only one person is allowed on the platforms at a time.
- Olympic lifting is only allowed within the platforms.
- No other plates or dumbbells aside from bumper plates allowed on the platforms.
- Weights must be controlled at all times.
- No dropping of weights from higher than your knees.
- No spotting on Olympic lifts.
Jogging & Walking Tracks
- Stretching is allowed in designated areas only.
- Spectators are prohibited.
- Baby strollers are prohibited.
Daily Use Lockers
All half-size lockers are for daily use only and located in locker rooms and various locations throughout the facility. These lockers can only be used while you are in the facility. You must remove your items when you leave. All users can only occupy one daily use locker, so that all patrons may be accommodated. Locks left on daily use lockers overnight will be cut. All contents will be removed and stored for a period of two weeks, then discarded. A fee will be charged to reclaim contents from all cleared lockers during the two-week storage period.
Annual Rental Lockers
All locker rentals will expire on August 31st at the Student Recreation Facility and Sport and Fitness Center. Renewals have priority to retain rental lockers. Locks are available for purchase at the Member Services Desk. Any lock found attached to an un-rented locker without permission will be cut. Use of a rental locker without registration and payment is prohibited. All contents will be removed and stored for a period of two weeks, then discarded. A fee will be charged to reclaim any contents from the locker, during the two-week storage period. Please inquire about the availability of lockers at the Membership Desk.
Locker Rooms and Restrooms
The Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms can only be used by the designated gender regardless of age.
The Inclusive Changing Rooms is a gender-neutral space. This space should be used by parents with children of the opposite sex regardless of age. Campus Recreation honors the stated gender identity of our patrons. Gender identity may not be apparent or correspond with stereotypes about physical presentation.
Restrooms (Outside of Locker Rooms)
Consistent with UIC’s commitment to human dignity, everyone at UIC has the right to use bathroom facilities that correspond to their sex or gender identity or to utilize single-stall bathroom facilities that are designated gender-inclusive. Further, no one is allowed to require that an individual show any form of identification to use a bathroom facility at UIC.
CAUTION: Persons with medical conditions should consult a physician before using this space. The following individuals should not use the spa, sauna, or steam room: those with heart disease, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, circulatory or respiratory problems, seizures, epilepsy, pregnant women, those who are using prescribed or illegal drugs or under the influence of alcohol.
All users must wear proper swim attire in this space.
- One & Two Piece Swimsuits: made out of a material that is designed for use in the water.
- Speedos & Jammers and other tight-fitting swimwear designed for swimming; designed for competition use.
- Wet Suits: made from a material designed for use in chlorinated water.
- Board Shorts: must be shorts with a tie or drawstring that are made out of a material that is designed for use in the water.
- Rash Guards: designed for use in water and made of a material suitable for use in water.
- Swim Diaper: swim diapers or diapers with tight-fitting plastic pants must be worn by those not well potty trained.
- Religious Swimwear: must be designed for use in water.
- Water shoes
- Not Allowed
- Athletic Shorts: including any kind of basketball, soccer, volleyball, yoga, running, or jogging shorts.
- Athletic Shirts: including jerseys, under armor, and other tight-fitting athletic shirts.
- Denim Clothing: including shorts, jeans, pedal shorts, capris, cut-offs, and jackets.
- Dresses & Cover-Ups: including sundresses, summer dresses, sarongs, skirts, and other clothing not manufactured as “Swim Dress”.
- Cotton Shirts: including t-shirts, graphic tees, polo shirts, button-ups, tie-dye shirts, tank tops, camisoles, and undershirts.
- Undergarments: may not be worn in the pool. This includes; boxers, briefs, bras, sports bras, and compression shorts which are not designed for swimming.
- Diapers: regular disposable or cloth diapers which are not designed for swimming.
Pool & Spa
- Patrons 15 years or younger may not use the spa.
- Diving in the pool is prohibited.
- Horseplay in the pool or on the pool deck area is prohibited. This includes but not limited to running, pushing, or any other similar behavior.
- Chewing gum or use of adhesive bandages in the pool or spa is prohibited.
- Users with open wounds or infectious diseases are prohibited from entering into the pool or spa.
- Spitting or spouting of water is prohibited.
- Parties and groups are only permitted to use designated pool areas as stipulated in Pool Rental Agreement. Parties are not allowed usage of the lap lanes, spa, steam room, or sauna. Any child 8 years of age or younger must have an adult 18 years or older in the water with them at all times. There is a maximum of 3 children per adult in the water at all times.
- Children cannot use kickboards or buoys. Children may use the inner tubes or their own personal floatation devices (U.S. Coast Guard Approved required) or swimming fins unless they are deemed unsafe by the Recreation Staff/Lifeguard.
Sauna & Steam Room
- Patrons 15 years or younger may not use the sauna or steam room.
- No personal belongings of any kind are allowed in the sauna or steam room. This includes but not limited to newspapers, magazines, and paper products.
- Adjustments to the sauna or pouring water/oil over the rocks is prohibited. To prevent getting burned, keep a safe distance from the sauna heater elements. Alert the Campus Recreation staff if the sauna is not functioning properly.
- All individuals must shower before using the sauna and steam room, and after if planning to use the swimming pool.
- Never exercise while in the sauna.
For your safety, Campus Recreation staff recommends patrons:
- Allow a 5-minute cool-down period following exercise and before entering.
- Limit exposure to 10 minutes per sitting.
- Allow a 5-minute cool-down period after exiting.
- Drink plenty of water before and after using.
- Remove all jewelry prior to entering.
Note: The sauna temperature is hotter on the top bench.
Outdoor Field Complex
- Proper adult supervision is required for children 15 years of age or younger.
- Service animals are the only animals permitted in the complex.
- No skateboards, in-line skates, or bicycles are permitted beyond the gate.
- Throwing, hitting, or kicking balls against the fences is prohibited.
- The Fitness Station may not be used during softball or youth baseball.
- Children 15 years of age or younger are prohibited from using the fitness station.
The following are prohibited inside of the complex:
- Metal spiked shoes
- Open fires and barbeque grills
- Glass containers of any kind
- Golf equipment
- Tobacco/smoking products
- Driving stakes
The following are prohibited on the turf:
- Sunflower seeds
- Chewing gum
Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel any scheduled activity based on inclement weather and unscheduled field maintenance. Campus Recreation Staff and game officials will determine if the scheduled activities may be safely played. All decisions will be based on the following factors:
- Previous, current, and future weather conditions
- Safety of our participants
- Type of activity and number of users
Outdoor Recreational Courts
- Courts are available only to current students and members of the UIC indoor recreation facilities. Guests and individuals paying the daily UIC indoor recreation fee are prohibited.
- Participants must swipe a valid UIC i-card to gain access.
- Courts are intended for tennis and basketball. All other activities must be approved by Campus Recreation.
- Hanging on the basketball rims is prohibited.
- Reservations are honored for a maximum of 15 minutes. After the 15-minute grace period, the reservation is lost and the court opens to other patrons. All court reservations can be made by calling the SRF or SFC or stopping at the Member Services Desk. Please specify racquetball, squash, or wallyball.
- Fitness equipment is prohibited in any of the racquetball courts.
- Protective eyewear is recommended and should be properly worn.