Campus Recreation Climbing Wall
The climbing wall is still closed due to COVID-19. We do hope to reopen the wall during the spring 2022 semester, and we will keep you updated on any changes. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Come and try our incredible Entre Prises’ Free Form climbing wall. Entre Prises’ is the world’s premier climbing wall manufacturer and Free Form is the most advanced product in climbing wall technology. Free Form accurately simulates the look, feel, and detail of real rock! Our wall is 43 feet tall, 7 top ropes across, and has a stunning variety of built-in features such as cracks, flakes, pockets, arêtes, a dihedral, as well as endless intricate features.
Rock climbing is a multi-dimensional sport that requires strength, flexibility, a high level of endurance, and skill. It also offers a balance between physical exercise and mental discipline. Climbers will quickly begin to develop hand, arm, back, and core strength as a result of the movements the climber needs to scale the wall. With practice, climbers will see improvement in agility, their ability to increase strength-to-weight ratio, and flexibility in hips and hamstrings.
In addition, our friendly staff would love to introduce you to this popular and fast-growing sport. We are constantly changing our routes to challenge every type of climber from beginner to advanced skill levels. Each route varies in length and style so climbs never get tedious.
DUE TO COVID 19 WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY RENTALS OR RESERVATIONS AT THIS TIME.The climbing wall can be rented for birthday parties, student organization meetings, and private events. All climbing wall rentals include climbing shoes and harnesses. Please CLICK HERE to request a climbing wall rental.
Number of People Attending
15 or less
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 996-7730
DUE TO COVID 19, OUR ROCK CLIMBING PASS PROGRAM IS UNAVAILABLE.
Climbing is FREE for all students, members, and guests. Climbing equipment prices are as follows:
Chalk Bag Rental
Shoe Chalk Rental
DUE TO COVID 19 WE WILL NOT BE HOLDING ANY CLIMBING CLASSES THIS FALL SEMESTER.
Introduction to rock climbing classes are offered on a frequent basis. Three week classes run once a week for two hours. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall.
For a nominal fee, students can sign up for classes on-line. A belay certification is included in the class. This permits the climber to belay his/her friends without waiting for a staff member.
Adult Learn the Ropes – An Intro to Climbing Class
Kids Learn to Climb Class
Similar to the adult intro to climbing class, this class exposes children 7 to the sport of rock climbing while working on technique to improve their skills. Classes are taught by experienced staff members and provide basic understanding of the sport of rock climbing. Students will be taught basic belay and knot techniques as well as valuable climbing techniques to assist new climbers to successfully reach the top of the wall.
*Please check back for updated dates and times.
Adult Learn to Lead Class
Learn to Lead classes for more experienced climbers are offered using a similar format with an emphasis on more advanced technique, lead belay, and sport climbing. Students need to be able to climb at least a 5.9 to enroll in this class.
*Please check back for updated dates and times.
*Our classes are open to UIC students, members, and non-members.
Specifically at the Student Recreation Facility
- The climbing wall is open only during posted, supervised times. The schedule is modified during breaks and summer. The hangboard mounted by the climbing wall is available for use during normal facility hours.
- All climbers must sign an Acceptance of Risk, Waiver and Release form which will be kept on file. All new climbers will need to complete a 5 minute orientation with a staff member in addition to the waiver.
- Children must be 5 years old or older and may only climb during weekend hours and university breaks.
- Climbing is free for all fee paying students, members, guests.
- Non-Members may purchase a five climb pass with a photo ID exclusively for the climbing wall. Non-members must have a photo ID for each climbing wall visit and check in at member services.
- Proper athletic apparel appropriate for climbing is required. Only clean gym shoes will be allowed on the wall and slack line.
- Harnesses are provided at no charge to climbers. Patrons may also bring their own equipment for use at their own risk.
- Experienced climbers can be certified by the climbing wall staff to belay without an attendant’s assistance. If a belay test is failed, the climber needs to wait at least one day before re-testing.
- Only assisted braking belay devices are to be utilized on the climbing wall unless an instructional class requires other belay devices.